Media Collection: Films by Genre
Films by Genre
Each of the following links will open a new window that displays the search results from the library catalog for the films in UW Libraries' collection of that specific genre.
Searching the Library Catalog by Genre
By using the Advanced Search option in UW Libraries' catalog, it is possible to locate DVDs or streaming video in a specific genre. To search by DVD or streaming video, select "DVD/VIDEO/ETC" or "STREAMING VIDEO" in the Material Type box. Use the shift key along with the mouse pointer to select both types of media.
1. On the UW Libraries webpage, click on Catalog.
2. On the Catalog page, locate the Advanced Search button in the "Additional search types" box.
3. The cursor will automatically go to the first blank search field. Type in the name of the genre (e.g., western).
4. Click on the drop-down menu located to the left of the search box and select Subject.
5. Scroll down and locate the Location box. Select Coe Library Media Collection.
6. Scroll down and click on "DVD/VIDEO/ETC" and/or "STREAMING VIDEO" in the Material Type box.
7. Scroll down and click on the green Submit button.
8. Search results will be displayed. The default display is by relevance. The results can also be sorted by date or title (alphabetically).
9. If no results are displayed, it means that there are no DVDs or streaming video cataloged using that specific genre. You may need to try other words in the search box.
10. The search for DVDs may be continued by clicking on the Check Prospector button.
11. If you cannot locate any films in that genre, try using broader search terms or using one of the pre-selected genres listed in the box to the left. If you still are unsuccessful, visit the Coe Library Help Desk for assistance.