Skip to main content

University of Wyoming Libraries Research Launchpad

Skip to main content

Media Collection: Public Performance Rights

Public Performance Rights

Public Performance Rights (PPR) are the legal rights to publicly show a film. PPR are needed for student clubs, film series, general lectures, and common dorm areas.

PPR are not needed to: view a DVD at home, view a DVD in a dorm room, or view a DVD for in-person instruction.

Most of the Libraries' educational titles are purchased to include PPR and may be shown as long as no admission is charged. With a few exceptions, TV series and feature films are not purchased with PPR.

To obtain PPR for any title, check the library catalog to make sure you need the rights. You will see "Restrictions" in the record. If the record says "Educational and Home Use Only" you will need PPR to show the film. If a film was not purchased with PPR you can attempt to obtain PPR for a one-time showing. Most feature films are handled by SWANK Motion Pictures, and you can contact them for pricing.

If Swank does not handle the PPR for the film you are showing, here are some additional distributors to contact:

Individuals and organizations are responsible for obtaining performance rights for all publicly screened media.

For more information, contact Shannon Tharp in the Libraries' Collection Development Office at