Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Wyoming Genealogical & Historical Societies
County, Town, and City:
- Albany County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 6163, Laramie WY 82073
- Albany County Historical Society, 1409 Downey Street, Laramie 82070
- Branches Of Campbell County, 602 West 3rd Street, Gillette WY 82716-3517
- Campbell County Historical Society, 900 West Second St., Gillette WY 82716
- Carbon County Historical Society, P.O. Box 52, Rawlins WY 82301
- Cheyenne Genealogical And Historical Society, P.O. Box 2539, Cheyenne WY 82003-2539
- Chugwater Historical Society, 315 First St., Chugwater WY 82210
- Converse County Genealogical Society, 119 North 9th Street, Douglas WY 82633
- Crook County Historical Society, P.O. Box 63, Sundance WY 82729
- Fremont County Genealogical Society, 1330 West Park Avenue, Riverton WY 82501
- Fremont County Historical Society, 630 Lincoln, Lander WY 82520
- Glendo Historical Historical Society, 204 South Yellowstone, Glendo WY 82213
- Grand Encampment Historical Society, P.O. Box 395, 807 Barnett Ave, Encampment, WY 82325; Phone:(307) 327-5308
- Greybull Historical Society, P.O. Box 348, Greybull WY 82426
- Hanna Basin Historical Society, P.O. Box 144, 502 Front St, Hanna, WY 82327; Phone:(307) 325-6465
- Hot Springs County Historical Society, 700 Broadway St, Thermopolis, WY 82443; Phone:(307) 864-5183
- Jackson Hole Historical Society, PO Box 1005, 105 Mercill Avenue, Jackson, WY 83001; Phone: (307) 733-9605
- Johnson County Genealogical and Historical Society, P.O. Box 103, Buffalo WY 82834
- Lander Genealogical Society, 1015 Black Blvd, Lander WY 82520
- Laramie Peekers Genealogy Society Of Platte County, 1108 21st Street, Wheatland WY 82201
- Lincoln County Historical Society, P.O. Box 242, Afton WY 83110
- Moorcroft Historical Society, 100 E Weston Street, Moorcroft, WY 82721; 307-756-9300
- Natrona County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 50665, Casper, Wyoming 82605-0665
- Parco/Sinclair Historical Society, P.O. Box 247, Sinclair WY 82334
- Park County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3056, Cody WY, 82414
- Park County Historical Society, 1002 Sheridan Ave, Cody, WY 82414; (307) 587-2258
- Powell Valley Genealogical Club, P.O. Box 184, 830 North Day, Powell, WY 82435
- Ranchester Historical Society, P.O. Box 666, Ranchester WY 82839
- Riverton Historical Society, 700 East Park Ave., Riverton WY 82501
- Rock River Historical Society, P.O. Box 52, Rock River WY 82083
- Rock Springs Historical Society, 201 B Street, Rock Springs, WY 82901; 307-362-3138
- Saratoga Historical Society / Museum, P.O. Box 1131, 104 Constitution Ave., Saratoga, WY 82331 ; 307-326-5511
- Sheridan Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 4075 , 335 West Alger Street, Sheridan WY 82801
- Star Valley Historical Society / Museum , POB 1212, 138 South Washington, Afton, Wyoming 83110
- Sublette County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 1186, Pinedale, WY 82941
- Sublette County Historical Society, Inc., 700 E Hennick St, Pinedale, WY 82941; (307) 367-4101
- Sweetwater County Historical Society / Museum, 3 E Flaming Gorge Way, Green River, WY 82935; Phone:(307) 872-6435
- Washakie County Historical Society, P. O. Box 247, Wheatland, WY 82201, 307-322-4237
- Weston County Historical Society, 401 Delaware, Newcastle WY 82701
- Wind River Historical Center, P.O. Box 896, 909 W Ramshorn, Dubois, WY 82513; (307) 455-2284
- Wyoming Pioneer Historical Society, P.O. Drawer 10, Douglas, WY 82633
Books about Wyoming history in the general collection are found on Level 2 starting with the call number of F761.
Additional copies and rare/unique books are available in Special Collections on Level 3. Call numbers are identical to those in the main collection. These books are non-circulating, meaning these cannot be checked out for use beyond the Hebard Reading Room.
Annals of Wyoming
The official journal of the Wyoming State Historical Society. Issues through 2005 are digitized and stored on the Internet Archive. Issues since then are only available in print. UW Libraries have issues of each journal, as do many public libraries throughout the state.
An online archive of Wyoming newspapers provided by the state archives and government. Digitization is an ongoing project. Not all issues are available.
Wyoming Almanac by
Call Number: F761 .R58 2013
Publication Date: 2013-08-31
The first book Wyomingites turn to for answers to any question about any aspect of Wyoming--history, culture, media, sports, people, and society. This is the 7th revised edition with many new lists and 662 pages of information.
Websites / Online Resources
American Heritage Center
Official archive of the University of Wyoming and repository of donated collections of papers from Wyoming residents, businesses, and national / international personalities.
Rocky Mountain Online Archive
The Rocky Mountain Online Archive is your source of information about archival collections in Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. Specialized guides, called finding aids, give detailed descriptions of primary source materials located at twenty-seven different repositories. Search the finding aids to discover what historical materials are available for study and where those collections are located. Useful for research in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming.
Wyoming State Archives
Official archives of the State of Wyoming. Collections include official state government documents, vital records, digitized photos, and other information useful to the genealogist or general researcher.
Wyoming State Library
Official library of the State of Wyoming. The library has oversight of all the public libraries in the state and provides access to bibliographic databases to public library users. Additional historical resources not available through the UW libraries may be found here.
WyoHistory.org is a project of the Wyoming State Historical Society. It was founded in 2010 by the Society and by Project Director Tom Rea, with oversight of an enthusiastic advisory board. The website first went live online in May 2011. The mission of WyoHistory.org is to encourage exploration of Wyoming and its past by building and maintaining a permanent, interactive encyclopedia of Wyoming history as an ongoing project of the Wyoming State Historical Society.
Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more. The website contains numerous out-of-print books and newspapers that have been digitized and may be useful to researchers.
Digital Public Library of America
The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) is an all-digital library that aggregates metadata — or information describing an item — and thumbnails for millions of photographs, manuscripts, books, sounds, moving images, and more from libraries, archives, and museums across the United States. DPLA brings together the riches of America’s libraries, archives, and museums, and makes them freely available to the world.