Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Free Web Resources
General Law Sources:
- search state and federal court opinions free.
- U.S. Supreme Court decisions from 1893, circuit court decisions from mid 1990's, and links to federal district courts. Also includes links to state court decisions and statutory and administrative codes.
- Google Scholar - a particularly good source for case law. State reported cases back to 1950, Federal circuit/district reported cases back to 1923. U.S. Supreme Court cases from 1791. Unreported coverage varies.
- all historical U.S. Supreme Court decisions, federal circuit court decisions from 1950-, and federal circuit court decisions from 2004; court documents also available for recent years.
Federal Legislation and Regulations:
- Congress.gov - bills 1989-, public laws and some other legislative history documents.
- eCFR - federal regulations.
- Govinfo.gov - contains U.S. Code, federal legislative history materials, federal regulations (CFR and Federal Register). From the U.S. Government Publishing Office.
- PACER - federal court dockets, except Supreme Court. Costs 10 cents a page. Opinions are free.
- Court Listener - free legal research website containing millions of legal opinions from federal and state courts.
This guide was used with permission from Meredith Hale, content created and developed by Sue Altmeyer and Laura Ray at the Cleveland Marshall Law Library